Thursday, November 20, 2008

An Obvious Need for Education

My Dad was hospitalized for an appendectomy this week. One of my main concerns was that the surgeon and anesthesiologist be aware of his RBD. So when they came in to speak with us prior to the surgery my Mom and I told them about it and sure enough, we were met with blank stares. Neither of them had ever heard of RBD. And to be quite honest, neither of them seemed to be particularly interested either. Oh wait, one of them did make note of it by writing it on his palm (!!!!!).

Frankly, I shouldn't have been all that surprised. Several years ago we took my Dad to see one of the supposed top neurologists in the state and he said he had never heard of such a thing. I actually had to email him information on RBD after our appointment.

So I ask... WHEN WILL THE MEDICAL SCHOOLS GIVE MORE EDUCATION ON THIS CONDITION?

No comments: